Safety and Convenience. Not Safety or Convenience. At Metz Glass, safety is of utmost importance. However, we also understand that in this hectic day and age customers are anxious to get back on the road. That's why we go above and beyond to make it convenient to get the job done correctly in the shortest Safe Drive Away Time possible. Safe Drive Away Time is the amount of time a customer must wait before the adhesive is fully set and the vehicle is safe to drive.
It’s not a matter of choice to safely install the glass in your vehicle, it’s the law! As a result, at Metz Glass, "there’s a lot more behind your windshield than you think."
What You Should Know About Your Car
- Your car has been built to not only provide a means of transportation, but also to help protect you in the event of an accident. All repair work done to your car is regulated by Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS) to ensure that all parts and their installation meet the performance requirements that contribute to your safety.
- Your windshield is secured to the body of your car by specially formulated glass adhesives that have been tested and approved to meet all applicable FMVSS requirements.
- Your windshield is classified as a "safety device" because it provides structural strength to the body of the car, helps keep passengers inside the car if an accident should occur, and supports the inflation and performance of passenger side airbags. As important as the windshield quality is, so too is the quality and proper installation of the auto glass adhesive.
What You Should Know About the Law
- It is there to protect you and the quality of your car. Everyone should understand it and everyone is expected to follow it!
- The national Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act makes it illegal for anyone to return your car for use prior to all safety devices being fully operational.
- Since your windshield is a safety device, your car cannot be safely driven until the adhesive has had enough cure time to meet FMVSS performance requirements.
- Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS) define the required performance of all parts classified as "safety devices." FMVSS is the governing authority for all OEM and aftermarket work and requires auto glass adhesives to be strong enough to hold the windshield to the car under certain crash conditions.
- FMVSS requires adhesives to be nearly six times stronger for cars with passenger side airbags.
What You Should Know About Safe Drive Away Time
- Safe Drive Away Time is the amount of time that your car is required to remain out of service until the auto glass part installed can properly operate as a safety device.
- Cars with passenger side airbags require either more time or a faster acting auto glass adhesive to reach Safe Drive Away Time because of the additional strength necessary to support the deployment of the passenger side airbag.
- By adhering to the auto glass adhesive manufacturer's Safe Drive Away Time calculations, FMVSS requirements are met and your car is safe to drive.
Metz Glass ensures the safest yet most convenient windshield replacement possible by usin only Sika premium urethane adhesive which provides a strong, safe seal while minimizing Safe Drive Away Time
Find out more about Sika >>>